A chemistry student from the Ukrainian city of Konotop was killed when a piece of gum exploded in his mouth, according to the Ukrainian media on Tuesday.
The 25-year-old student of Ukraine’s Kiev Polytechnic Institute was working at a computer in his parents’ house on Saturday night when the tragedy occurred.
“A loud pop was heard from the student’s room,” said ukranews.com. “When his relatives entered the room they saw that the lower part of the young man’s face had been blown off.”
A forensic examination established that the chewing gum was covered with an unidentified chemical substance, thought to be some type of explosive material.
Police questioning revealed that the student had a bizarre habit of chewing gum after dunking it into citric acid. On his table, police found both citric acid packets and a similar-looking unidentified substance, believed to be some kind of explosive material.
Investigators believe that the student simply confused the packets, and put the gum, covered with explosive material, into his mouth.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Exploding Chewing Gum Blows Off Student’s Jaw (news.sky.com)
- Student killed by exploding chewing gum (telegraph.co.uk)
- The Case Of The Exploding Bubble Gum (yesbutnobutyes.com)
- Ukrainian Man Dies From Exploding Gum! (ithinkheblogs.com)