As marchers headed up Oak Street near 12th Street, a swarm of police officers blocked the path and declared it an “unlawful assembly.”
Police then fired tear gas into the crowd as well as rubber bullets.
Around noon local time (3 p.m. EST), about 250 protesters gathered at Frank Ogawa Plaza for a rally. At 1:30 p.m. PST / 4:30 p.m. EST, the group began marching with a crowd of over 2,000 demonstrators.
About an hour later, all hell broke loose.
Check it out in the video below.
Skip ahead to the 12:00 mark to see the standoff begin to unfold.
- Police use smoke grenades on Occupy Oakland protesters – Reuters (reuters.com)
- VIDEO: Oakland Police Toss Flash Grenade At Protesters Helping Injured Person (thinkprogress.org)
- Occupy Oakland protest grows to about 2,000 people (sfgate.com)
- Police fire tear gas as Occupy Oakland marchers near convention center (mercurynews.com)
- Occupy Oakland Protest Grows to About 2,000 People (abcnews.go.com)