Tips for using both kinds of frankincense oil
Did you know there are two different kind of frankincense? Yes, most people were not aware of that fact. Makes you wonder which kind of frankincense was brought to Bethlehem on that infamous night. So what are some of the main differences and similarities between the two frankincense oils?
frankincense oil First off, one kind of frankincense is called Boswellia Carteri while the other is referred to Boswellia Serrata. There is a very subtle difference in their constituents: boswellia carteri has a-pinene whereas boswellia serrata has a-thujene.
As for what the boswellia carteria offers use wise that differs from the boswellia serrata, we have the traditional Chinese medicinal uses. The gum resin can be used for bruising, swelling, sores and also for pain from injuries involving trauma. This particular type of incense is prized for the way it rejuvenates skin. It is also known for it’s ability to be healing in serums and creams for the face. In particular, boswellia carteria is used as an immune stimulant. While both types of frankincense are good for anti-inflammatory reasons, boswellia carteria can be used as an alternative to NSAID’s for various kinds of joint pain. Using a tablespoon of carrier lotion, use 2 or 3 drops of boswellia carteria and massage into your achy joints or use for skin rejuvenation.
While there are some similarities in their uses, boswellia serrata is distinguished by its use in traditional Indiana or Ayurvedic practices as opposed to traditional Chinese medicine. Boswellia serrata’s gum resin was used for various ailments such as fevers, obesity, skin and nervous disorders as well as rheumatism. In addition it has been used to treat skin conditions like ring worm, help alleviate menstrual pain and also ulcers. This type of frankincense is typically used for joint pain and menstrual pain. You can take three tablespoons of carrier oil and add 2 or 3 drops of boswellia serrata. Apply this to joints and to belly to alleviate symptoms.
Now let’s talk about is similar between the two kinds of frankincense oil:
- They both come from a tree.
- They are derived from the resin or sap of the tree.
- Their means of extracting the frankincense essence is through steam distillation.
- The therapeutic properties include antiseptic, vulnerary, astringent, uterine, carminative, sedative, cicatrisant, expectorant, cytophlactic, emmenagogue, and diuretic.
- They both belong to the chemical families of esters, monoterpenes, oxides and monoterpenols.
- Both have been used for hundreds upon hundreds of years as medicine, cosmetics and incense.
- Both are anti-inflammatory and can be used with a carrier old to be massaged over affected areas.
- You can use an oil diffuser to help create a ambient environment for meditation with frankincense oil. This can also be ideal for journaling, yoga or daily prayer.
- You can also add a drop or two of either frankincense oil in your favorite body care products. You can get all of the benefits but don’t have to go through the process of making one one your own.
In knowing the difference between the two oils, you are better able to use their properties to the best of your abilities.