Several preschool teachers in Los Angeles mysteriously fell ill in April after eating some brownies. Their symptoms included giddiness, dizziness, mood changes, dry mouth, and a nasty case of the munchies.
Public health officials had a gut feeling that this wasn’t your typical case of food poisoning. They were right.
A teacher had purchased the “homemade” brownies several days earlier from what she was told was a church bake sale. In the spirit of giving, she was then nice enough to share some with her co-workers while she was on a break.
After about 90 minutes, however, 5 of the teachers fell ill and the adult son of the teacher was also showing symptoms.
As it turns out, there was no bake sale. A sample from the brownies tested positive for marijuana, according to a report that was published on September 4th in The Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Stella Fogleman reports that none of the teachers had ever used marijuana previously and that they didn’t like how pot made them feel.
“They didn’t know they were eating pot brownies, so it’s not the same symptoms as someone who deliberately ate them at a party and got high,” Ms. Fogleman said.
Two teachers received medical attention for their symptoms and one teacher actually tested positive for THC, the active ingredient in marijuana metabolite.
All of those involved have since recovered from their brownie binge. The sidewalk vendor who sold the treats for $1.50 each is nowhere to be found.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Vital Signs: Sickened by Brownies, but It Wasn’t Food Poisoning (nytimes.com)
- Health Officials: Pre-School Teachers Ate Pot Brownies (blogs.wsj.com)
- Street Vendor Sells Pot Brownies that Sicken Preschool Teachers (laist.com)