The Mitt Romney campaign is in full damage control mode after hidden camera video hit the web of Romney speaking to donors at a May 17 fundraiser.
The $50,000-a-plate dinner was held at the home of private equity mogul Mark Leder.
Responding to a question about the “Palestinian problem,” Mitt Romney said that peace in the Middle East wasn’t possible and that a Palestinian state isn’t feasible, telling donors that Palestinians have “no interest whatsoever in establishing peace and that the pathway to peace is almost unthinkable to accomplish.”
Later, Romney told attendees that 47 percent of Americans, Obama supporters, are “victims” who are “dependent upon government” and “pay no income tax.”
He then added, “My job is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”
As you might imagine, the media is having a field day with Romney’s remarks.
Romney has addressed the clip, stating that his remarks were “not elegantly stated” and that they were “spoken off the cuff,” but he says President Barack Obama’s approach is “attractive to people who are not paying taxes.”
Check out the controversial remarks below.
- Romney campaign non-responds to devastating videos of Mitt being a dick (dailykos.com)
- Romney Explains Obama Voters (politicalwire.com)
- Secret Video Reveals that Mitt Romney Actually Hates You [Video] (jezebel.com)
- Video Captures Uncensored Mitt Romney at Fundraiser (swampland.time.com)
- Romney video: 47% dependent on government (politico.com)