The former IMF leader, who had been accused of a sexual attack on a maid in a New York hotel, will have his bail returned and will still face travel restrictions once freed.
The Manhattan District Attorney’s office plans to tell the judge in the case that its investigation raised serious doubts regarding the credibility of the victim.
The bail issue is set to be discussed at an 11:30 a.m. (EDT) hearing before New York State Supreme Court Justice Michael Obus.
“When the district attorney outlined the charges voted on by the grand jury, he said the office would continue to investigate the facts of this case, wherever they lead,” Erin Duggan, a spokeswoman for Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr., said in an e-mail today in response to questions about the handling of the case.
“That is exactly what the office has done.”
Strauss-Kahn, 62, was a steward of the world economy and was considered to be a leading candidate for next year’s French presidential election until he was arrested on May 14 and charged with the attempted rape and sexual abuse.
Dominique Strauss-Kahn resigned from the IMF on May 19 and pleaded not guilty on June 6, vehemently denying the allegations. He maintained all along that he had previously feared someone could pay a woman to allege rape in an effort to ruin him.
Some analysts think that, if he’s fully cleared, Strauss-Kahn could lend economic credibility as an adviser to a Socialist candidate and might eventually come forward as a contender to be prime minister or finance minister.