With today’s Apple announcement just hours away (10 a.m. PST / 1 p.m. EST), the rumor mill is spinning at a feverish pace.
The latest word on the new Apple table that will likely be announced this afternoon, is that the iPad 2 could merely be an upgrade to the 1st-gen iPad, with a much more robust iPad 3 rolling out later this year, as we previously reported.
One unnamed Apple staffer has been quoted as saying:
“For the iPad 2, don’t get your hopes up too high. That’s all I’m going to say. They’ve had a number of problems along the way, and the third-generation iPad is the one to make a song and a dance about.”
Apple will probably just add a few basic features to the iPad 2 which were missing in the first-gen iPad. That likely includes a front-facing camera, a lighter unit, a faster processor, and more RAM.
The Apple iPad 2 will likely be a Band Aid prior to the arrival of the iPad 3, which will be closely integrated with iOS 5. The iPad 3 could then carry the much-anticipated iTunes streaming subscription service. Currently, Apple offers streaming content service for Apple TV.
Stay tuned. All will be revealed in a few short hours.
- APPLE EMPLOYEE: “For The iPad 2 Don’t Get Your Hopes Up Too High” (AAPL) (businessinsider.com)
- Apple staffer: save your excitement for iPad 3, not iPad 2 (venturebeat.com)
- Fanboi rumor mill dances for iPad 2 iPad 3 (go.theregister.com)
- iPad 2 reportedly leaks: Thinner, lighter, flatter (slashgear.com)
- Forget Apple iPad 2: Reports Say iPad 3 Is the One to Watch (pcworld.com)