If you want to refocus your existing budget on your highest performing product areas, or reach potential customers that you are missing, the secret is in the keywords. The Search-based Keyword Tool, a new, free tool from Google, looks at the content of your website and matches it against Google search queries (entered by Google users). The list of suggestions is then filtered to remove any keywords that you’re already advertising on, so every single keyword you see is a new one.
Helping your bottom line
Other than giving you new relevant keywords, how does this help your bottom line? Say you sell two product lines – widgets and gizmos – and you know that your widgets product line is selling much better than your gizmos product line. You can use the tool to identify high-potential widget search terms that you’re missing and expand that campaign, applying more of your budget on the campaigns that are most effective.
Focusing your campaigns
The Search-based Keyword Tool is equipped with a number of powerful filters and features to make it easy to find keywords for the parts of your website and business that provide you with the greatest ROI.
- Looking for bargain terms? In the ‘more filters’ section, sort by ‘low-competition’ or pick a bid you’re willing to pay and sort by ‘suggested bid’.
- Only looking for keywords in a particular product area? The tool automatically groups keywords by categories, so simply select the category you want on the left-hand side of the results.
- Can’t find the category you’re looking for, or want to find terms for a specific page on your website? Click on ‘more filters’ and enter a term into the ‘url contains’ field.
The tool also offers additional information on each keyword so that you can choose the best ones for your campaigns. Each suggestion shows the average monthly searches for that term, how competitive placement on that term is, the estimated bid to place your ad in the top three positions, your Ad/Search share for the term, and the page on your site the term is most related to, which you might chose to select as the landing page (destination url) for that keyword.
Get started with the Search-based Keyword tool in 4 easy steps:
- Go to http://www.google.com/sktool
- Sign-in to your AdWords account
- Enter the url of your website
- Click ‘Find Keywords’
For more information on the tool, please visit Google’s support site. Remember, you can find other helpful Google tools at www.google.com/domorewithless.
To get an ever better handle on Adwords and get the most bang from your PPC buck, join PPC Coach today. I’m already a member.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Google: Adwords PPC for Dummies (blippitt.com)
- Do more with less — Part 2 of 3 (adwords.blogspot.com)