Investigators have determined what led to the death of 11-year-old Ashton Jojo while she was playing mini golf with her family at Orange Lake Resort in Florida.
It turns out the girl was electrocuted and died Wednesday as she tried to retrieve her ball from a pond, according to a statement from the resort.
Ashton was attempting to get her ball back when she fell into a 2-foot-deep pond around 2 p.m. EDT.
Witnesses heard the girl scream in distress. Another guest, Christopher Burges, tried to pull her from the water but he too was injured in the process. Jojo was rushed to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead.
“Orange Lake Resort holds the safety and well-being of our guests and employees as our top priority and concern,” the resort said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the guests, their families and friends during this time.”
The golf course is now close while authorities investigate the mishap.
Jojo had been in town on vacation with her family from New York.
More in the video below.
- Girl Dies Playing Mini Golf in Orlando (blippitt.com)